Launchpage.org looks like a useless-but-harmless web-hub. Some may even find it a handy option. The web-platform actually brings together most popular resources such YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn etc.
To avoid misunderstanding, please note launchpage.org refers both to the software and the website itself. It may also designate the overall malicious routine.
Something is critically wrong about launchpage.org. It is the way it enters your PC, takes root on it and runs its background activities.
To make its way to your machine, the adware harnesses a bundled installation. It originates from the contents that the users pick up at the web. Few people abstain from grabbing a bit of freeware or another free item out of the web. Such downloads often contain extra items. Users fail to notice the extra contents as the installation either does not announce them at all or makes such a reference that a human eye is not likely to catch.
The way the launchpage.org installs on a device is contrary to fair and sound marketing. The customer has no plausible opportunity to examine and disapprove its performance.
Once within a host machine, the adware tries to establish a connection with the remote server. The data exchanged usually contains standard packages, but the threat actors are always free to interfere. That poses extra risks.
The installed copy of launchpage.org typically executes its standard payload. It hijacks any browsing software enabling automated redirects to launchpage.org. The redirects take place in various circumstances and cover, at least, start page, search and new tab uploading events. The page itself serves as a powerful marketing tool enabling the remote actors to collect your browsing data.
The infection is not going to let you remove launchpage.org redirects by mere uninstalling. It makes use of a browser hijacker that runs on a background. Its default task is to ensure the settings it has initially introduced remain intact. Thereby, if you just fix your Internet setting, the adware strikes back.
To get rid of launchpage.org, you need to, first and foremost, target the respective browser hijacker. Remove launchpage.org settings as a follow-up. For detailed guidance, follow the routines below.
Automatic removal of Launchpage.org infection
The benefits of using the automatic security suite to get rid of this infection are obvious: it scans the entire system and detects all potential fragments of the virus, so you are a few mouse clicks away from a complete fix.
- Download and install recommended malware security suite
- Select Start Computer Scan feature and wait until the utility comes up with the scan report. Proceed by clicking on the Fix Threats button, which will trigger a thorough removal process to address all the malware issues compromising your computer and your privacy.
Get rid of Launchpage.org using Windows native uninstall feature
- Select Control Panel entry in the Windows Start menu. Go to Programs and Features (Windows 8), Uninstall a program (Windows Vista / Windows 7) or Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP)
- On the Uninstall or change a program screen, find the entry for Launchpage.org or any similar-looking new application. Select it and click Uninstall/Change
- Be advised this technique works well for the regular applications but might be inefficient for removing malicious programs.
Remove Launchpage.org virus from web browser
The workflow below is intended to eliminate malicious objects, such as add-ons or plugins, from the browsers that got impacted. Given the persistence-related features of this particular infection, the optimal workaround is to restore the affected browser’s settings to their original state. This will prevent the virus from further interfering with your preferences.
Launchpage.org removal from Google Chrome
- Click the Chrome menu icon and select Settings
- When the Settings screen opens, find the link that says Show advanced settings and click on it
- Proceed by clicking on the Reset browser settings button
- For you to evade any unintended consequences of the reset, Chrome will display a note about the settings and fragments of browsing data that will be lost. Read the notification and click Reset in case you agree
- Restart Chrome.
Launchpage.org removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Firefox and select Troubleshooting Information on the Help drop-down list
- Locate the sub-section titled Give Firefox a tune up and click on the Refresh Firefox button to proceed. Then confirm the transaction on the respective popup
- Restart Firefox.
Launchpage.org removal from MS Internet Explorer
- Select Internet Options under Tools in IE
- Select the Advanced tab on Internet Options screen and click on the Reset button
- The browser will now display the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog. Review the points on what the resetting includes. Activate the option saying Delete personal settings and click on the Reset button as shown on the image
- Restart the computer
Verify thoroughness of the removal
Having carried out the instructions above, add a finishing touch to the security procedure by running an additional computer scan to check for residual malware activity.