The auto opening of the Alpha Shoppers site every time Chrome is launched indicates that your browser settings have been changed. From a technical perspective, the reason for these changes is a small program, the main purpose of which is to modify the settings of the web-browser.
Alpha Shoppers Chrome extension promises to save your money and time while doing shopping online. This app claims it will provide discounts, coupons, and alerts about special bargain offers.
Alpha Shoppers markets itself through aggressive advertising campaigns, popping up on dubious shopping sites. Additionally, it tries to secretly penetrate victim’s computer with the help of bundled installation – going together with free but useful and legit software.
Once inside your computer Alpha Shoppers makes use of additional visual layers to show banners, popups, coupons on web-pages. This method of “virtual” visual layers allows Alpha Shoppers to overlay any graphic content. Mirriads if ads that infected web-browser shows to Alpha Shoppers victims are all fake and have nothing to do with original offers.
Obviously, the purpose of penetrating the computer by the Alpha Shoppers adware is to make a profit. This can be the sale of visits, views of certain pages to which your browser will be forcibly redirected, displaying different intrusive advertisements.
Furthermore, if people click on these fake ads – they risk to end up on malicious sites controlled by hackers who can then infect new visitors with ransomware, steal identity or infect with banking Trojans.
In its turn, Alpha Shoppers also gathers all data about its users. It collects such info as your IP address, search queries, visited websites, and even passwords stored in Google Chrome.
Victims are strongly advised to immediately get rid of the Alpha Shoppers malware.
Automatic removal of Alpha Shoppers infection
The benefits of using the automatic security suite to get rid of this infection are obvious: it scans the entire system and detects all potential fragments of the virus, so you are a few mouse clicks away from a complete fix.
- Download and install recommended malware security suite
- Select Start Computer Scan feature and wait until the utility comes up with the scan report. Proceed by clicking on the Fix Threats button, which will trigger a thorough removal process to address all the malware issues compromising your computer and your privacy.
Get rid of Alpha Shoppers using Windows native uninstall feature
- Select Control Panel entry in the Windows Start menu. Go to Programs and Features (Windows 8), Uninstall a program (Windows Vista / Windows 7) or Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP)
- On the Uninstall or change a program screen, find the entry for Alpha Shoppers or any similar-looking new application. Select it and click Uninstall/Change
- Be advised this technique works well for the regular applications but might be inefficient for removing malicious programs.
Remove Alpha Shoppers adware from web browser
The workflow below is intended to eliminate malicious objects, such as add-ons or plugins, from the browsers that got impacted. Given the persistence-related features of this particular infection, the optimal workaround is to restore the affected browser’s settings to their original state. This will prevent the virus from further interfering with your preferences.
Alpha Shoppers adware removal from Google Chrome
- Click the Chrome menu icon and select Settings
- When the Settings screen opens, find the link that says Show advanced settings and click on it
- Proceed by clicking on the Reset browser settings button
- For you to evade any unintended consequences of the reset, Chrome will display a note about the settings and fragments of browsing data that will be lost. Read the notification and click Reset in case you agree
- Restart Chrome.
Verify thoroughness of the removal
Having carried out the instructions above, add a finishing touch to the security procedure by running an additional computer scan to check for residual malware activity.