ShmokiAds malware attacks social network users. This statement does not limit its audience whatsoever. That is to say, any other groups are not on the safe site. Even if you have no social account at all, the infection may compromise your machine.
Most of the complaints on the scam in question originate from the Facebook audience. Before proceeding with the game, the users bump into some silly advertisement. They are already unhappy with the actual ads in the FB game. However, this time the ad goes beyond any plausible level of tolerance. It simply replaces the entire Facebook page inviting – or rather forcing, the poor fellows to complete a questionnaire. Of course, the page will tell you your answers are very important and remain confidential. They are to be used for the purposes of the survey only.
Please beware the so-called survey is not a legitimate practice. The actors behind it remain unanimous. The data you are to provide is out of any confidentiality. The crooks enjoy wide opportunities for abusing the recorded answers.
Recurrent redirects by the ShmokiAds suggests you have got a piece of malware on your working station. Its key mission is to redirect you to the page as outlined above, hence the name of malware. Unless and until you remove ShmokiAds virus, your browser remains addicted. That is to say, the automated redirects persist. They may occur beyond your Facebook account and the browser originally compromised.
For detailed guidance on the removal of ShmokiAds malware please proceed with the steps below.
Automatic removal of ShmokiAds infection
The benefits of using the automatic security suite to get rid of this infection are obvious: it scans the entire system and detects all potential fragments of the virus, so you are a few mouse clicks away from a complete fix.
- Download and install recommended malware security suite
- Select Start Computer Scan feature and wait until the utility comes up with the scan report. Proceed by clicking on the Fix Threats button, which will trigger a thorough removal process to address all the malware issues compromising your computer and your privacy.
Get rid of ShmokiAds using Windows native uninstall feature
- Select Control Panel entry in the Windows Start menu. Go to Programs and Features (Windows 8), Uninstall a program (Windows Vista / Windows 7) or Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP)
- On the Uninstall or change a program screen, find the entry for ShmokiAds or any similar-looking new application. Select it and click Uninstall/Change
- Be advised this technique works well for the regular applications but might be inefficient for removing malicious programs.
Remove ShmokiAds virus from web browser
The workflow below is intended to eliminate malicious objects, such as add-ons or plugins, from the browsers that got impacted. Given the persistence-related features of this particular infection, the optimal workaround is to restore the affected browser’s settings to their original state. This will prevent the virus from further interfering with your preferences.
ShmokiAds removal from Google Chrome
- Click the Chrome menu icon and select Settings
- When the Settings screen opens, find the link that says Show advanced settings and click on it
- Proceed by clicking on the Reset browser settings button
- For you to evade any unintended consequences of the reset, Chrome will display a note about the settings and fragments of browsing data that will be lost. Read the notification and click Reset in case you agree
- Restart Chrome.
ShmokiAds removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Firefox and select Troubleshooting Information on the Help drop-down list
- Locate the sub-section titled Give Firefox a tune up and click on the Refresh Firefox button to proceed. Then confirm the transaction on the respective popup
- Restart Firefox.
ShmokiAds removal from MS Internet Explorer
- Select Internet Options under Tools in IE
- Select the Advanced tab on Internet Options screen and click on the Reset button
- The browser will now display the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog. Review the points on what the resetting includes. Activate the option saying Delete personal settings and click on the Reset button as shown on the image
- Restart the computer
Verify thoroughness of the removal
Having carried out the instructions above, add a finishing touch to the security procedure by running an additional computer scan to check for residual malware activity.